MCAs in Kitui on Wednesday demanded an apology from Governor Charity Ngilu for cancelling a retreat in Mombasa.
They asked speaker George Ndotto to formally write to the governor. However, they did not specify the action they will take should Ngilu not comply.
The bonding retreat was planned for September 4-8 but was called off. Ngilu changed the venue to Mwingi.
In her campaign manifesto, Ngilu advocated for “buy Kitui build Kitui.”
Majority leader Peter Kilonzo moved a motion to discuss the failed retreat and the call for an apology. All MCAs supported the motion.
Kilonzo said a letter dated August 30 by county secretary Alex Kimanzi invited MCAs to Mombasa for the forum. On September 5, MCAs travelled to Mombasa, however, another letter at 1:25 pm indicated the meeting had been rescheduled.
Related: MCAs bounce in Mombasa as Ngilu switches retreat to Mwingi
Kilonzo said the assembly was adjourned because of the meeting.
He said the abrupt changes have sparked varied comments from social media users.
MCAs asked for a copy of the official invitation of the aborted Mombasa meeting. They demanded that the assembly committee on procedure and rules formulate rules on future engagements with the executive.
Ward representatives want a committee on powers and privileges formed to investigate malicious allegations over the aborted retreat that painted the assembly in bad light.
Click here for the latest political news